On using symbols in Pajek visualizations
In Pajek 4.06 or later symbols belonging to partition clusters can be used in visualizations.
Symbols can be any Unicode characters, e.g. ■ ● ◆ ★ ✾ ☺ ❉ ☼ ♀ ♂.
User can provide any number of symbols, first symbol belongs to cluster 0, second to cluster 1,...
If number of clusters is larger than the number of symbols provided, symbol belonging to selected cluster is computed in the following way:
ClusterSymbol = ClusterNumber mod NumberOfSymbols.
E.g. if there are 10 symbols defined, they belong to cluster numbers 0..9, cluster 10 has the same symbol
as cluster 0, cluster 11 has the same symbol as cluster 1...
In EPS only ASCII symbols can be used (non-ASCII symbols are replaced by cluster numbers).
If layout is exported to SVG or EPS symbols are written in the middle of vertices.
In Pajek 4.06: In Draw window symbols are written next to the vertex.
In Pajek 4.07 or later: In Draw window symbols are written in the middle of vertices (like in EPS or SVG).
There are several places where 'special' Unicode symbols can ge found, e.g.
Simple test network used in examples below: shr.net
Symbols can represent additional properties of vertices,
e.g. membership in communities...
Symbols can be combined with colors of vertices
to display two properties in the same layout
Also symbols can be of different colors
Symbols can be combined with shapes of vertices
Selected symbols can also be used as (additional) shapes
Selected symbols can be used as 'subshapes'
Shapes and symbols can be used as tooltips
Commands in Pajek Draw window for working with symbols and tooltips
- Options / Symbols for Partitions Clusters: Select or display symbols that belong to partition clusters.
- Options / Mark Vertices Using / Cluster Symbols of Second Partition: Turn marking vertices with symbols
beloging to second partition on. Do not forget to select compatible second partition in Pajek main window.
- Options / Mark Vertices Using / Clusters of Second Partition: Instead of symbols cluster numbers are displayed.
- Options / Colors / Use Third Partition for Symbol Color: Use third partition for symbol color.
Do not forget to select compatible third partition in Pajek main window.
Symbol colors belonging to partition clusters are determined in Options / Colors / Partition Colors / for Symbols/Font
- Export / Options / Symbol Size: Select relative or absolute symbol size when exporting to EPS or SVG.
If symbol size is set to some positive value (e.g. 0.75), this value is relative (according to vertex size):
Final size of the symbol is computed by taking into account vertex size and default symbol size.
In this way vertices with different sizes have different sizes of symbols as well.
If symbol size is set to negative value (e.g. -25) this value (absolute) is also the final size of symbol.
In this way vertices with different sizes have all the same sizes of symbols.
- Options / Mark Vertices Using / Labels as Tooltips: Display labels (and other properties) of vertices as tooltips in Draw window.
Label appears only as a tooltip (hint) in Draw window when mouse cursor touches the vertex.
Tooltips work also when Draw window is in a Fisheye mode.
- Export / Options / SVG Tooltips: Vertices: Display labels (and other properties) of vertices as tooltips in SVG.
On using Second and Third Partition in Pajek visualizations
Second and third partition can be used in two different ways. They can define either symbols or font properties:
If marking vertices with symbols (or cluster numbers) is selected then:
If marking vertices with symbols (or cluster numbers) is not selected then:
- second partition determines symbol (or cluster number);
- third partition can determine symbol color (menu item Options / Colors / Use Third Partition for Symbol Color is visible);
- menu item Options / Colors / Font / Vertices / Use Second Partition for FontColor is not visible;
- menu item Options / Size / of Font / Use third Partition for FontSize is not visible.
- second partition can determine font color of vertex label (menu item Options / Colors / Font / Vertices / Use Second Partition for FontColor is visible);
- third partition can determine font size of vertex label (menu item Options / Size / of Font / Use third Partition for FontSize is visible).
- menu item Options / Colors / Use Third Partition for Symbol Color is not visible.